Winter isn’t actually THAT bad! Yes the rain SUX and leaves your hair frizzy and your mascara zig-zagging down your checks or smudged across your forehead. The biting cold requires you to wear 3 times more layers than normal, making it hard to bend over and forcing you to wake up earlier just to start donning the layers…brrrrrr….I wanna get under the duvet right now and just stay there until summer peaks it’s head through the clouds! Actually, no that’s not the point of this post. I have actually survived half of winter already in a much better state than usual! So I decided, as always, to share some survival tips…
- Exercise!!!! I know that’s the absolute last thing you want to do on a wintery day, but it makes ALL the difference! It gets the blood pumping, boosts your metabolism…keeping you warm for the rest of the day and keeping you lean and gorgeous through winter ready for summer.
- Get Vitamin D – I always harp on about this but that’s because I want you all to stay healthy! Vitamin D is produced when you are exposed to sunshine, which is often rare nowadays. Low Vit D leads to weak bones and poor immunity, which could be one of the contributing factors to osteoporosis and the winter-cold or flu…which we’d all obviously like to avoid. SO when the sun’s out take a 5 minute walk and eat vit D sources (oily fish, eggs, liver, nuts, seeds, oils, fortified marge etc) or consider a supplement. You need 200 – 400IU per day
- Veg-out: In a BIG way…but the healthy way! Eat veggie-packed soups, stews, casseroles, curries…The more veggies, the more vitamins and minerals and the less disease, less fat and skinnier healthier You!
- Eat citrus: oranges, naartjies, apples, pears, pineapples – all in season and packed with vitamin C to prevent the common cold
- A glass of Red wine by the fire: moderate alcohol consumption (1 for the ladies and 2 for the boys) has shown to prevent certain types of cancers, heart disease and Alzheimer’s.
- Do things that make your soul happy: Out of everything i have mentioned there is no point in having a healthy body but a sad soul! So do something everyday to make yourself happy…make your passion your career, read a beautiful book, surround yourself with amazing people that uplift you, buy yourself flowers and help someone less fortunate than you…You’ll be happy and gorgeous 🙂
Here we go winter…Let’s Tango!