Probably the most common question I get asked – “Should I take a supplement or vitamin?”
The best way to get the vitamins and minerals that you need to maintain or boost your health is through your diet. Such nutrient dense foods include fruits and vegetables, whole-grains, dairy and lean protein (including oily fish). If you eat these foods then you’re on a great track!
However we are constantly bombarded by a stressful environment – which increases our requirements and makes it difficult to find the time to buy and eat these foods. Also if you are an athlete, pregnant / breastfeeding or vegetarian, your requirements are higher.
In this case, you may require a supplement – Multivitamin and omega-3 (500mg – 1000mg EPA + DHA).
So my take home message:
- Eat a well balanced diet with a variety of colours and food groups
- Eat healthy snacks such as fruit, nuts and yoghurt
- Be creative with recipes to pack nutrient dense foods into your daily diet (see some ideas here)
- Get a good shopping list or guidelines from a dietitian
- Buy fresh and organic where possible
- Manage your time so that you can shop, cook and eat what you need to – to avoid convenience foods and take-aways!
- If your requirements are higher (as mentioned above) speak to your dietitian about a supplement.
Be healthy 🙂