https://alexroyaldiet.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Blood-Orange-Sumac-Chicken-Tabbouleh-1.jpg 2250 1500 Kalsey Visser https://alexroyaldiet.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Alex_Logo1.png Kalsey Visser2017-05-08 11:09:292017-05-08 11:09:29A Mother's Day lazy lunch - Chicken and Blood Orange Tabbouleh Salad
- 1 large Chicken breast fillet
- 3 Blood oranges
- 1 pinch Chilli flakes
- 1 small bunch coriander
- 1/4 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 small bunch parsley
- 4 Spring onions
- 200g Bulgur wheat
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon, ground
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 400ml Water
- Start by cooking the bulgur wheat. Pour 1 tablespoon of oil into a small saucepan along with the cinnamon and heat gently until starting to sizzle. Add the bulgur wheat and stir.
- Continue to cook over medium heat for a couple of minutes until the bulgur wheat smells toasted and fragrant. Add the water and a pinch of salt and bring to the boil.
- Cover with foil or a tight-fitting lid and turn the heat down as low as it will go. Cook for 10 minutes and turn off the heat. Leave to steam for 5 minutes before fluffing up the grains with a fork. Set aside to cool.
- Cut the chicken into very small bite-sized pieces. Place in a small bowl along with the zest of 1 blood orange and the garlic powder, chilli flakes and a good pinch of salt. Mix together well.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a frying pan and add the chicken pieces. Fry the chicken pieces over medium heat until cooked through.
- In a large bowl mix together the cooled bulgur wheat, the blood orange chunks and the juice of 1 blood orange, the herbs and the spring onions. Taste and season if needed and add a drizzle of oil if liked. Serve with the chicken on top or mixed throughout if preferred.