https://alexroyaldiet.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Lamb-and-Lentil-Tagine-with-dates-and-sweet-potato.jpg 290 850 Alex Royal https://alexroyaldiet.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Alex_Logo1.png Alex Royal2013-09-15 10:55:172014-12-29 14:03:18Lamb and Lentil Tagine with dates and sweet potato
- dash olive oil or canola
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh root ginger
- 1.5kg boneless lamb shoulder, cut into 5cm chunks
- 4 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp each paprika and ground coriander
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 850ml tomato puree
- 700g sweet potatoes, cut into chunks
- 150g pitted dates
- 100g blanched almonds , toasted
- good handful coriander , roughly chopped
- Heat the oil in a large, deep pan.
- Add the onions, then gently fry until softened, about 5 mins.
- Stir in the ginger, add the meat
- Stir in the spices and cinnamon sticks, then cook for 1 min.
- Add the tomato puree and 800ml water, then bring to the boil, stirring. Season well, then cover and simmer for 1½ hrs, until the lamb is tender.
- Add the sweet potatoes, stir well, cover again, then cook for 20 mins or until the potatoes are just tender. Stir in the dates and heat through for 5 mins. Taste and add more seasoning if necessary. To serve, spoon the tagine into a serving dish and scatter with the almonds and coriander.
Recipe from BBC Good food