http://alexroyaldiet.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/christmasdinner.jpg 667 1000 Kalsey Visser http://alexroyaldiet.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Alex_Logo1.png Kalsey Visser2017-07-11 08:10:562017-07-11 08:12:03Have yourself a Merry Christmas in July
Who doesn’t love a mid-year Christmas?
If you are feeling festive this July – give these simple but oh-so-yummy recipes a try.
Salmon with Roasted Veggies (serves 4)
- 2 red onions, cut into wedges
- 2 red peppers, sliced into strips
- 1 yellow pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 zucchini, halved lengthways and thickly sliced
- 1 whole garlic, halved across the middle
- 2 medium tomatoes, halved
- 3 tbsp olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
- 270g cherry tomatoes
- 4 x 150g salmon fillets
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Handful of fresh basil leaves
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Place the onions, peppers, zucchini, garlic and tomatoes into a shallow roasting tray. Pour over 3 tbsp olive oil, season with sea salt and ground black pepper, then gently toss to coat.
- Roast the veggies for 20 minutes.
- Add the cherry tomatoes to the tray and lay the salmon fillets on top. Season, then drizzle with a little more oil and a generous squeeze of lemon juice.
- Return to the oven for 10-12 minutes until the salmon is just cooked through and the vegetables are tender. Scatter with fresh basil leaves to serve
Fresh Cherry Crumble (serves 4)
- 4 cups fresh pitted cherries
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp raw honey
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
For the crumble topping:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons coconut
- 1/3 cup agave nectar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans
- Heat oven to 190 C. Lightly spray four ramekins with baking spray or lightly butter the bottoms and sides.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the pitted cherries, water, honey, agave, and cornstarch. Stir to blend and put the pan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Divide cherry mixture among 4 ramekins.
- Combine topping ingredients and, using fingers, sprinkle evenly over each filled ramekin.
- Put ramekins in the preheated oven with a sheet of foil or baking sheet on the rack below to catch drips. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the topping is browned and the filling is bubbly.