Courtesy of Fitness Vettish
Makes +/- 36
Preparation: 20 minutes
Baking time: 20 minutes
Drying time: may take up to several hours
780 g Wholewheat flour
420 g Coconut flour
(Alternatively 1.2 kg Wholewheat flour only)
⅔ cup Vegetable oil (options: canola, nut, coconut, etc.)
¾ cup Honey
575 ml Coconut or Almond milk (unsweetened)
4 tsp Baking powder
1 tsp Salt
Butter or Coconut oil
Seeds, berries, nuts, etc. (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Heat the oil, honey and milk together in a pot on medium heat. Stir continuously!
- Combine all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add seeds, berries, nuts, etc. to the dry ingredients and mix together lightly.
- Make a “well” in the centre of the dry ingredients and stir in the wet ingredients.
- Grease a baking tray with butter or coconut oil.
- (I use a coconut oil spray ‘n cook.)
- Roll tablespoon-sized balls of dough and place on the baking tray. Place the balls slightly apart to allow for expansion as they bake.
- Bake until cooked through and slightly brown.
- Turn the temperature down to 70°C and dry out the rusks until they are hardened to your liking.
- (I remove the rusks and then place them on a cake rack/grid placed on the baking tray to elevate the rusks and allow them to dry out thoroughly for about 2 hours).