Afternoon Express Show asked Alex what to eat to get a healthy skin. Here is her professional take:
How is eating a healthy diet going to give you healthier looking skin?
A healthy diet and lifestyle is the cornerstone to staying young and this is reflected in every cell of your body especially your skin.
– A healthy diet provides the vitamins and minerals that the skin cells require for proper structure and function
– Antioxidants to prevent damage from the environment
– Hydration and anti-inflammatory factors that prevent redness and puffiness.
Can you say that if you have healthier looking skin, that your skin will automatically look younger, take years off my looks?
If you have healthy skin which is less inflamed and red and more hydrated it will definitely look younger.
Some of the worst foods to eat for your skin?
-Sugar and processed foods that are high in chemicals
-Dehydrating foods and beverages (sugar, coffee in some people who are caffeine sensitive, alcohol, salt)
-Inflammatory foods (those high in omega 6’s, from certain cooking oils)
Best foods to eat to give us younger and healthy looking skin?
-Green leafy vegetables (spinach, kale, broccoli),
-A variety of brightly coloured fruits (berries, melons, guavas and citrus)
-Eggs, Nuts and seeds and oily fish like sardines, salmon and pilchards.
How good is water in helping with healthier skin, and should it be a certain amount, still, or sparkling, what is true when it comes to water?
-Water is very important for two main reasons. Firstly, well hydrated skin is less wrinkled and damaged and secondly, drinking lots of water flushes the toxins out of the body which gives the skin a healthy glow.
-You need 30-35ml/kg.
-Sparkling and still are the same in terms of hydration.
What are some of the important vitamins and minerals found in foods which are easily available?
– Antioxidants: mop up free radicals that cause skin damage and wrinkles.
– Vitamin A (effects the actual physiology of the epidermal layers in the skin. green leafy vegetables, carrots, peppers, Liver, eggs)
– Vitamin C (maintains the collagen in the skin. Citrus fruits, peppers, berries, guavas),
– Vitamin E (powerful antioxidant protecting the cell membranes of the skin cells. sunflower seeds, nuts, eggs, green leafy veg)
– Omega 3s / precursors to omega 3: oily fish, walnuts, flaxseeds
– Green tea, turmeric, ginger
– Zinc: improves structure of skin cells and helps with wound healing. It is found in red meat, seafood
– Selenium: improves tissue elasticity. It is found in brazil nuts, whole grains, eggs
In today’s times so many women, be it working moms, career women just can’t find the time to take care of their needs, be skin, eating healthy, what are some of the most important tips that are easy to follow, that is affordable to all women that will improve, maintain healthy and younger looking skin?
Throw out all the processed sugary foods. Avoid convenience or fast foods. Keep fresh veggies and fruits chopped and ready to snack on. Make the base of your meals green leafy veggies.