Most people that walk through my door want to lose weight but feel like it’s an impossible task and huge mountain of a challenge. My job is to make weight loss achievable and yes, EASY!
The best trick is to make lifestyle changes that suit you and fit into your current routine. In this way you will see the kilograms shed with minimal effort.
Here are some basics to set you off on the right track. If you can start by following these 8 tips you will be leaps ahead.
- Cut out sugar in tea and coffee. Do yourself a favour and add up the teaspoons of sugar you have in a day. Remember that 3-4 tsp = 1 slice of bread.
- Cut out fruit juice and fizzy cool drinks. This is VITAL because most juices are laced with sugar. For example, Ice Tea can contain about 30g of sugar!
- Say no to high energy snacks like chocolate, muffins and sugary treats
- Limit alcohol. The body breaks down alcohol in the same way as it breaks down fat. The problem is that there is no ‘alcohol reservoir’. So the body needs to stop metabolising any other food and turns to burning the alcohol, storing the fat and carb that it was metabolising.
- Drink lots of water and herbal teas. This keeps you feeling full and ensures that the metabolism is functioning well.
- Include a lean protein in most meals and snacks. Protein has an excellent effect of satiety and really helps tide you over until your next meal.
- If in doubt about portion control, only allow yourself one helping and try and leave 20% on your plate (and ask for a take away for lunch the next day)