Today’s post will make you happy. It will be useful if you 1. live near a mountain (however it can be adjusted to fit many land forms / areas e.g. the beach, a cool pretty spot in your garden…where ever you can sit in the great outdoors) and 2. are keen to watch the sunset! And let’s be honest, who needs an excuse to relax in a stunning spot with a bunch of friends.
That’s exactly what we got up to on Signal Hill! After a beautiful trail run, I joined a gaggle of giggling and chatting girls and one very patient boy on the mountain to watch the sun settle over the ocean. I recommend this to EVERYONE and this is what you should pack so that you can keep healthy and not undo all the good work of the previous trail run, but still be able to share your food without getting squiff looks!
- Rice crackers or Provitas
- Cottage cheese and sweet chilli sauce (with a few sprigs of fresh coriander)
- Slices of carrots / mange touts / baby mielies
- Juice and water to rehydrate after the run
- Wine…Yes you heard me – but stick to one glass for girls and 2 for guys! there are health benefits associated with moderate alcohol intake,and the sun has set…while we carried on eating, chatting and drinking winesuch as increased HDL cholesterol (the good one) and reduced risk factors for heart disease. Which type of alcohol you ask? One study showed that the actual type doesn’t make a difference in overall health benefit. However red wine is high in phenols and polyphenols, which act as powerful antioxidants to keep you young and healthy 😉
ENJOY the sunset……